Hey there! I’m the artist who painted this High School Loki piece which has apparently been used without my permission as a means to piss off Lokeans. Not cool. It bums me out that something I worked hard on and filled with the things I love, little Easter eggs to make people smile has been used to upset people I didn’t know existed and make me look like an asshole. I would like to clear some things up, if I may:
This is a parody of a fictional Marvel Comics supervillain, (as are the other pieces in my Supervillain Highschool Yearbook Photos collection - feel free to check out the rest of them here http://ghosthause.deviantart.com/gallery/40081581) NOT the mythological Loki of the Norse pantheon. So please put this in perspective, getting angry at this is like Buddhists being offended at a parody of Goku from Dragonball Z.
This was never supposed to be some editorial cartoon shitting on someone’s beliefs, just a bit of fun for my fellow sword and sorcery nerds and metalheads. A lot of people don’t like my work and that’s fine, I’m bad at drawing hands and my style is pretty goofy, but I don’t think I’ve ever been misinterpreted quite this hard.
Re some of the more specific grievances:
Headgear - Loki had a shitty time in Highschool, that’s the joke. The dated style of the headgear was easy to draw, recognisable and funny. That weird bit of class resentment that was inferred from this is delightfully nuts.
Black nails - Loki has them in the comics.
"Heart symbol" - Again, almost every incarnation of Loki in the comics has this on his helm, I always thought it was a kite shield. That weird, phallic tangent is giving my creative process way too much credit.
As for that final round up concluding what an anti-intellectual bro-dude prick I am… I’m almost impressed in a weird, not at all pleasant way. Anyway, hope this clears things up, thanks for reading.
J “Ghost” Hause
ORIGINAL POST BELOW
Still upset today so we’ll see how much gets done, but there was another unrelated thing I wanted to look at:
One of the AsatruLore crowd (and they’ve moved to G+, incidentally) posted the following picture as representative of Lokeans, for everybody to laugh about and make fun of.
I was just thinking about how much more this tells me about them than about us.
What do we have?
- Disparagement of young people - represented by pimples and the stereotypical “soft touch” background that appears consistently in school pictures.
- Secondary disparagement of young people, this time young people who have parents who can afford orthodontia work - represented by the oddly stylized form of headgear. Orthodontia is expensive, and this sort of overbite correction is generally done when someone is young.
- Other Types Of Music Are Scary Or Wrong, Man - represented by a metal t-shirt.
- Pop Culture Is Evil Bad - represented by Marvel stylization.
- People play complicated games and I don’t understand, and that makes me uncomfortable, so it must be bad and the people who do it must be socially inept/losers/geeky - represented by the D20 and cape. I’m not sure if this is fear of intelligence or fear of geek or gamer cultures, or all of it rolled into one.
- Subcultures Are Spooky, Why Can’t You Just Conform - represented by black nailpolish.
- I Bet You’re Really A Wimp - the fact that a heart appears on his headband is actually a pretty complicated piece of symbology. It’s sort of a double hit that implies that the subject is too soft/non-aggressive, and hearts get associated with femininity a lot (despite the fact that they’re stylized upside-down manjunk). So… yeah, subtle grossness there, unless I’m completely off base. I’m going to guess that this gets lost (at least consciously) on a lot of the people who were looking at this picture.
So, looking at this, what I get is “smart young non-conformitive people, who simultaneously also conform by participating in pop culture, are stupid and bad cuz nerds and look at how effeminate they are, I bet they’re also ugly social rejects cuz reasons.”
What sort of people hold these sorts of opinions based on this… shallow grossness?
People whose opinions we really shouldn’t give a shit about. QQ MOAR, dudebros.